Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Honouring our Trees

On Friday the International Year of the Forests will be launched in Fiji, with the theme “Celebrating Forests for People”. It follows the success of the Plant a Million Tree Programme, which according to the Forestry Department has already resulted in 1.4million trees being planted, even though the programme doesn’t actually conclude until tomorrow, 14th April.

Last year, the Methodist Church’s Davuilevu Theological College had a similar programme for the college, with the community planting native species and fruit trees around the campus. Later in commemoration of International Day of Peace, an indigenous species of tree was planted by the keynote speaker at the College’s Peace Day programme, symbolising the desire for peace to be rooted in our homeland.

My parents always encouraged the protection of trees – big and small – much to the frustration of gardeners and brush cutter operators who often saw no value in some of the plants. I remember many long sessions of my mother trying to educate many a grounds-man on the oxygen creating role of trees.

Considering the amount of deforestation which takes place as land is “cleared” for farming or industrial development, the importance of protecting trees cannot be overstated in maintaining of the balance of the fragile ecosystem which many of us take for granted. In this regard, I often wonder as to how land that contains trees can be called, “unproductive”.

I was once told that to appreciate the work of trees in producing the much needed oxygen our bodies need, all I needed to do was try to breathe out and into a paper bag for five minutes. The point was made in two and half.

The objective of 2011 United Nations International Year of the Forest is to create awareness of the urgency to protect fragile global forestry and encourage a greater sustainability in their use. This

International Year will help cultivate an appreciation of the role of forests in conserving the strength and vitality of the planet.

According to the United Nations, nearly a third of the world’s people depend directly on forests, 300 million of them live in forests, and 80% of the world’s biodiversity is created in them. Most of our human physique comes from our forest-dwelling ancestors, and forest-dwelling has shaped our behaviour, cultures and beliefs.

Last year there was much ire raised on the impending uprooting of the famous Dudley High School Baka tree, to protect a school building. After consultation with the Forestry Department we were able to find a solution that would protect both the building and the tree which holds sentimental value to Dudley current and former students and staff, as well intrinsic environmental value to the area. All it took was a little planning and discussion and a lot of commitment.

When my children were infants, my wife taught them a song that not only served as a lullaby, but also provided a wonderful example on the importance of trees. It’s called, “The Tree Song”. Two of the verses are as follows:

I saw a tree by the riverside one day as I walked along.

Straight as an arrow and pointing to the sky growing tall and strong.

"How do you grow so tall and strong?" I said to the riverside tree.

This is the song my tree friend sang to me:

“I've got roots growing down to the water,

I've got leaves growing up to the sunshine,

and the fruit that I bear is a sign of the life in me.

I am shade from the hot summer sundown.

I am nest for the birds of the heavens.

I'm becoming what the Lord of trees has meant me to be:

A strong young tree.”

I saw a tree in the city streets, where buildings blocked the sun.

Green and lovely I could see it gave joy to everyone.

"How do you grow in the city streets?" I said to the downtown tree.

This is the song my tree friend sang to me:

“I've got roots growing down to the water,

I've got leaves growing up to the sunshine,

and the fruit that I bear is a sign of the life in me.

I am shade from the hot summer sundown.

I am nest for the birds of the heavens.

I'm becoming what the Lord of trees has meant me to be:

A strong young tree.”

This year of the forest, what can we do to nurture strong young trees? In urban and rural communities are we willing to sacrifice a piece of personal or communal land or work with municipal councils to set aside land for nature reserves?

May the rest of your week be blessed with light, love and peace.

Rev. James Bhagwan is the Circuit Minister of Dudley Suva Circuit in the Indian Division of the Methodist Church in Fiji and Rotuma.

No comments:

Post a Comment